WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

Scroll down to read my affirmational quotes, listen to interviews, and read chapter 1: "Overcoming Obstacles" from my newest book. Don't forget to check out the older posts too. Please JOIN my blog for further updates and follow me on twitter @CarolBettino. Email contact: cbettino49@gmail.com

Friday, December 30, 2011

December's Affirmational Quote

Keep this in mind the next time you find yourself overreacting because you're overwhelmed, stressed or taking something personally.

"I will think before I react, and then respond accordingly and appropriately." Carol Bettino, MA, LPC

1 comment:

  1. I usually, almost always, do what you are saying here. However, I just recently had an experience like this, where I didn't stop to think about the situation first, where I was too emotional to be trying to work things out with the person, and I ran off to talk to the person thinking I was being assertive and trying to work things out (I had just read something about assertiveness and was thinking I should express my feelings immediately!); but during the conversation, because I was feeling too emotional, it wasn't resolved enough in the way I would have liked. Although we straightened out the misunderstandings and issues, my emotionalism in the situation has caused this person to now avoid me and I think she sees me as being irrational and hot-headed (which, oddly, is usually totally uncharacteristic of me and I'm usually just the opposite!) I want to apologize to her for overreacting, but she's avoiding me now and I'm not too wild about having to apologize anyway because it's embarrassing and uncomfortable, and so we are now distant with each other. If I had just spent some time centering myself and keeping an open mind before ever talking to her about it, these problems could have been avoided and we would both not be afraid of talking to each other again.

    ReplyDelete